Mm I LOVE chicken tortilla soup…so I made some! Great story right?! I’ve never made it before so I did my own twist on the recipe and it came out delicious. Plus, it’s good for you! Lots of goodies in there 🙂 Hope you enjoy!
What you will need:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 Cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1-cup water
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with jalapeno
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 limes, juiced, plus wedges for garnish
- Dash of salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning
- 1-cup cilantro
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- Few tortilla chips
How to make it:
- In a large saucepan heat the vegetable oil.
- Add the onions and cook for two minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Pour the chicken broth, cup of water, tomatoes, beans, bouillon cube and spices into the pot and bring to a boil.
- Once at a boil lower the heat to simmer and add your chicken breasts. Cook the chicken for 20 minutes.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, remove from the pot. When cool enough to handle, shred the chicken and set it aside.
- Add the lime juice and fresh cilantro to the pot.
- In a serving bowl add a mount of shredded chicken. Ladle soup over chicken and top with lime wedge, tortilla chips, avocado slices and fresh salsa.